It’s Good To Be Back – Gloucestershire v Somerset – County Championship 2021 – Nevil Road, Bristol – Day 1

This match was played with restricted crowd numbers due to the coronavirus restrictions in place. Tickets were initially offered in a ballot but were ultimately generally available and still for sale online on the morning of the match.

County Championship Group 2. Gloucestershire v Somerset. 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd May 2021. Bristol.

Gloucestershire. K.C. Brathwaite, C.D.J. Dent (c), J.R. Bracey (w), T.C. Lace, I.A. Cockbain, R.F. Higgins, M.A.H. Higgins, T.M.J. Smith, M.D. Taylor, D.A. Payne, D.J. Worrall.  

Somerset. E.J. Byrom, T.A. Lammonby, T.B. Abell (c), J.C. Hildreth, G.A. Bartlett, L.P. Goldsworthy, S.M. Davies (w), C. Overton, L. Gregory, J.H. Davey, M.J. Leach.

Toss. Gloucestershire. Elected to field.

First day 20th May – It’s good to be back

In some ways nothing had changed. In others everything had. I arrived at the ground, as was always my wont, in a tight race with the umpires, players, clouds and rain for the eleven o’clock start. Nothing new there. I was not the only one. I arrived outside Nevil Road’s Ashley Down Road entrance with a last-minute surge of similarly anorak-attired, backpack-carrying men, most of them just beyond a certain age. Nothing new there either. What was totally new was the small element of variety that had been introduced. It consisted of an array of different colours and designs of face masks and coverings with which the faces were adorned. The new world meeting the returning old. A quick scan of my ticket and an exchanged smile with the steward who scanned it and I was in. The old world again.

Then the new world intervened for a moment. “Do you know where you are sitting sir?” asked one of a host of yellow-jacketed stewards. A gentle reminder that all seats were allocated for this Championship match, even though the crowd only numbered several hundred. No doubt the weather had deterred as many as were determined to defy it. And so, I ascended a flight of stairs at the rear of the Mound Stand to the block containing my allocated seat. When I reached the top, spread out before my eyes was a first-class cricket match and several hundred supporters. I had, of course, missed the first over, but no matter. that was par for the course in the old world, at least in mine. Somerset were 4 for 0. I breathed a sigh of relief. No wickets.

As I stood at the top of the stairs, looking along and back, from one end of the Mound Stand to the other, the crowd had an odd look to it. People were dotted about, rather as they might have been in the old world of the Somerset Stand at Taunton on a busy day. With such a crowd in the Somerset Stand you would expect to see the rest of the ground crowded. Here, the rest of the ground was deserted, with no stand along the side which the temporary stand occupies for T20 matches. The crowd in the Mound Stand was like an oasis from the old world set in the desert of the new.

The way the crowd was dotted about looked odd too, another result of the new world. It looked rather like the awkward spacing of garden plants where the planting has attempted to replicate the randomness of nature. It never looks natural, at least to my eye. And the spread of this crowd didn’t look natural either. Of course people had not randomly distributed themselves as they would have done in the old world. The new world, at least the regulations designed to protect people against the coronavirus, had distributed them differently. People were seated in alternate rows and, if attending on their own, in alternate seats. Families and, I presume, coronavirus bubbles sat together.

Once I was in my seat, the old world almost came back, or the person who did the seat-allocation for Gloucestershire is a Somerset supporter. Four rows, that is two rows of socially distanced people, in front of me was a Somerset member of my acquaintance. Two rows, or the next occupied row, in front of that, two more Somerset supporters, and two rows in front of them, another. Within five minutes of my arrival another came to his seat, two along from me. I didn’t know him, but he knew the couple sitting four rows down. It was almost like old times at an away match, Somerset supporters present in comparative abundance. Not entirely like old times of course, none of us could move to sit with the others as we might have done in those days. Not that that stopped the chat or the banter, it just waited for breaks in play. It was as if the 20 months since we last sat and chatted at a cricket match had not happened, even if there was a slight air of unreality about it all.

And then Tom Lammonby was run out for three in the second over. The cricket was real enough, and the run out sharpened the focus. Lammonby had turned a ball from Ryan Higgins towards square leg and set off for a single. He must have been the only person in the ground who saw that single. Eddie Byrom sent him back, but Ian Cockbain was on the ball in a flash and the stumps were broken with Lammonby clearly short of his ground. The view from my seat, more or less square of the wicket, was horribly clear. “What!?” said one disbelieving Somerset voice to equally disbelieving Gloucestershire cheers as Lammonby’s nightmare summer continued. It was then that it sank in that I had not watched cricket from side on since the end of the 2019 season. I often sit square, especially when Somerset are batting. When the only option is the live stream, the cricket is always from behind the arm. It is an excellent view for watching a batsman’s technique, a bowler’s skill, or moving, turning or flighted balls, but variety is the spice of my cricket-watching life and this, at last, was heaven.

It is not so easy to assess the movement of the ball from square, but an element of playing and missing, gasps and groans from the slip cordon and batsmen frozen in the pose of committed forward defensive strokes that failed to connect all told the same tale. Batting was hard work, and the threat of a wicket ever-present. It held the attention like the unbroken band of dark cloud moving quickly across the skyk. Eddie Byrom and Tom Abell worked the ball into the on side for singles, Byrom realised two from a smooth on drive which slowed on the outfield, and produced some neat deflections to the deep fine leg fielder. As the batsmen established themselves the crowd began to find itself. Applause began to ripple across the stand for a good ball, a beaten bat, a good stroke or a good ball kept out. The old world was re-establishing itself. Then the chatter began to build, there was even a bit of a buzz at times.

As David Payne and Higgins, and then Matthew Taylor, continued to test the batsmen, Byrom and Abell played with the utmost care and attention. When James Bracey came up to the stumps to draw Abell back into his crease, the movement the bowlers were obtaining was emphasised and someone said, “I wondered how long it would take for Bracey to stand up.” As the bowlers probed away, continuing to beat the batsmen, Somerset eschewed risk and dug in hard. This was batting of the old, see off the new ball and protect the stroke makers to come, type. Somerset supporters missed breaths, and Gloucestershire ones let forth gasps whenever a batsman was beaten, 9 for 1 after four overs became 18 for 1 after 13. Byrom and Abell were building a base for the Somerset innings, if a precarious one.

When Dan Worrall replaced Higgins the batsmen began to move Somerset forward. Byrom glanced through the air to fine leg for four. There was risk, the ball evaded the diving Bracey by a yard or so, but Somerset were moving. An Abell pull from outside off stump off Taylor rocketed to the long on boundary at the Ashley Down Road End. “That was a bit of a shot,” said the Somerset supporter two seats along from me. From where we sat it certainly looked spectacular. When Byrom steered Worrall towards third man, an authoritative Abell could clearly be heard, his voice carrying to us on the wind, “Yeah. Two.” And two it was.

In the next over, from Taylor, Abell took two more from a turn just behind square, and then drove straight to the Ashley Down Road End with that perfunctory drive of his where the bat stops dead as the ball leaves it. Byrom followed with another straight drive, this time off Worrall, to the Pavilion End, as smoothly flowing as Abell’s was perfunctory. Applause followed from Somerset supporters making their presence felt along the stand. Since Byrom had marked the acceleration with that glance, Somerset had added 27 runs in seven overs. And then, with Somerset making progress, and with the embryonic match nicely balanced, the rains came. Some things never change. The players left the field with Somerset on 45 for 1 with Byrom on 22 and Abell on 19, three innings nipped in the bud.

And that was it for the day, at least in terms of cricket. The umpires and groundstaff were active for some time in keeping things moving in case an opportunity arose to restart play. The umpires inspected several times, continuing to inspect even in light rain, and set relatively short timescales for further inspections. The blotter was active even as the cloud that delivered the rain that sounded the death knell for the day thickened. The groundstaff battled with plastic covers billowing a dozen feet in the air. At other times they attempted to move covers on or off as they rippled like waves across a windswept sea. It was not just the waves. They were preceded by lines of five feet high spray blowing off the top of the covers. Cricket, and the English summer, were back.

And around the ground the old scenes returned, with masks added. People standing under whatever cover they could find, if in smaller groups than usual, amiably chatting among themselves or with the stewards who were visible in numbers. Some spectators were from a younger age profile than the group I had entered with, and those who tended to attend Championship matches in the old world. Perhaps that was a wisp of hope for Championship cricket in the new world. All were looking at the sky, wondering if there was any prospect of further play, discussing the state of the Group 2 table and which team needed to beat which team to aid their team in its quest for a place in Division 1 in the second phase of this year’s Championship. Then there were the half dozen people dotted about, naturally this time, still sitting in their seats cocooned in waterproofs, hunched under umbrellas, one person hunched under two umbrellas, trying to keep their seats dry. There were hopeful looks at the sky when the sun briefly appeared in the smallest imaginable patch of blue sky. But, as Shakespeare’s Feste said of the Surrey match, “That’s all one,” and it was.

So, in the end, just 20 overs and two balls, one wicket, four boundaries, carefully distanced seating, masks, and a storm better suited to a night at sea. It was cold too. But it all fitted with the warmth of a pair of old slippers newly re-discovered. It warmed the cockles of a cricketing heart. And, if you were a Somerset supporter, the Byrom-Abell partnership had been a wonderful piece of Somerset cricket against some good Gloucestershire bowling. “Well played lads,” someone said as they went off. But, above all it was just good to be back.

Close. Somerset 45 for 1.