This site guide is intended to help readers find the post they want. It will be updated as the content of the site grows.
‘Farmer White’ has written match reports on every day of Somerset County Championship and, in 2020, Bob Willis Trophy cricket since the beginning of the 2018 season,. He also wrote reports on many days of Championship cricket in 2017. Additionally he has written reports on many days of T20 and Royal London One-day Cup Cricket since the beginning of 2017. All those reports are available on this site. Where attendance at matches was not possible due to coronavirus regulations the reports were written from watching the various live streams of the matches.
Articles and poems
The site also contains some ‘Farmer White’ articles and poems about Somerset cricket. The occasional non-cricket poem will also be added.
The reports, articles and poems may be accessed in a number of ways:
All posts on this site will appear on the home page. Posts appear in reverse date order with the most recent at the top. Simply scroll down the page to find the earlier posts.
The heading, any sub-heading and the first paragraph or two of each post will appear on the home page. Click on the “read more” button to open the rest of the post.
The last twenty posts appear on the front page. Click the “older posts” button which appears after the final post on the front page to open further, earlier, blocks of 20 posts. There are now approaching 200 articles, poems and match reports on this site, all written by ‘Farmer White’.
Alternatively use one of the navigation aids listed below to go direct to individual or groups of posts.
Locating Match Reports, Articles and Poems
Of the options below the ‘Contents’ and ‘Home’ pages and the ‘Search’ function should be available at the top of any page being viewed on any device. ‘Categories’ and ‘Tags’ appear in the maroon panel. This panel appears on the right hand side or at the bottom of the home page depending on the device being used. The only exception to this is noted in the ‘home page’ section below. The quotes contained in the maroon panel have links beneath them which will take you to the posts from which the quote is taken. The quotes all relate to reports posted in the early days of the site and will take you to some of theearlier matches reported on.
- Contents page. Accessible via a tab near the top of the page on all devices. This contains links to reports, articles and poems posted in the early days of the site, mainly during 2018. This page is no longer being updated but existing content repains in case it is if use to users of the site. The quickest route to finding posts you may want to read will be through the Categories, tags or search functions as listed below.
- Search function. Accessible at the top of the page being viewed and near the top of the maroon panel on laprops. It will call up any post containing the word or group of words entered into it. Common Somerset CCC related terms such as ‘Hildreth’ will call up a long list of posts! Less common terms, ‘Somerset v Surrey’ for example, will call up fewer.
- Categories. A menu situated immediately beneath the search function in the maroon panel to the right of the home page on laptops, at the bottom of the home page on tablets and phones. This will call up all posts assigned to the selected category. More useful where smaller numbers of posts are likely to be assigned to a category. For example, the ‘County Championship 2018’ category will call up all reports on all days of Championship cricket in 2018 contained on the site.
- Tags. A list of ‘tags’ is located on the maroon panel immediately beneath ‘Categories’. Most posts have a tag attached. Clicking on the tag will bring up all posts with that tag attached. Each match report has a tag identifying the team Somerset were playing. For example: Clicking on the ‘v Essex’ tag will call up any post relating to a day of cricket against Essex.
- Links under quotes on the maroon panel. The maroon panel contains a list of quotes from some of the reports on the site. Each quote is followed by a reference to the match (and in the case of the County Championship the day) and a link to the report in which the quote appears.
- Home page. The homepage will display the most recently dated post at the top. The link to the home page is on a tab near the top of screen on all devices. Older posts will be displayed beneath the top post with the most recently dated first. Scrolling down to early posts may take some time and using the categories or tags may be a better option.
My apologies to those to whom all this is second nature. This content is here in an endeavour to assist those to whom, like me, the twenty-first century came late.
The site currently contains mainly Somerset CCC 1st XI match reports beginning in the 2017 season and in every subsequent season to date. It also contains Somerset cricket related articles and poems. Virtually all early posts were originally posted on match threads of the independent Somerset cricket website grockles.com. The date of the original posting on grockles.com is contained at the end of each report. From the beginning of the 2019 season reports, articles and poems were posted only on this site with a link to the post being placed on grockles.com, and so from that date grockles.com posting times were no longer included.
The reports, articles and poems are gathered here to bring them together into a ‘Farmer White’ collection of Somerset cricket writing which is easily accessible to anyone with access to the internet.
This page was last updated on 27th April 2021.