This site guide is intended to help readers find the post they want. It will be updated as the content of the site grows.
With the exception of a small number of T20 matches and the 2019 Royal London One-Day Cup Final which the author was unable to attend, ‘Farmer White’ wrote full match reports on every day of Somerset men’s first team cricket in 2018 and 2019. All are now available on this site. This includes reports on every day of Somerset Championship cricket during those two seasons. In addition ‘Farmer White’ wrote reports on the majority of days in 2017. All are now on this site together with brief summaries of the days on which he did not report.
Articles and poems
The site also contains some ‘Farmer White’ articles and poems about Somerset cricket. The occasional non-cricket poem will also be added.
The reports, articles and poems may be accessed in a number of ways:
All cricket posts on this site will appear on the home page. Posts appear in reverse date order with the most recent at the top. Simply scroll down the page to find the earlier posts.
The heading, any sub-heading and the first paragraph or two of each post will appear on the home page. Click on the “read more” button to open the rest of the post.
The last twenty posts appear on the front page. Click the “older posts” button which appears after the final post on the front page to open further, earlier, blocks of 20 posts. There are now approaching 200 articles, poems and match reports on this site, all written by ‘Farmer White’.
Alternatively use one of the navigation aids listed below to go direct to individual or groups of posts.
Locating Match Reports
To aid navigation around match reports all match reports relating to 2017 or 2018 will be dated the day on which the play took place or on which the report was written and listed sequentially through the relevant season on the Contents page. The only exception to this is noted in the home page section below.
All articles and poems will be dated the day on which they were posted on this site and listed alphabetically on the Contents page. ‘Farmer White’ started writing on grockles.com at the end of the 2016 English domestic cricket season. This site was created at the end of 2018. The date on which a post of any type was actually posted on grockles.com beween 2016 and 2018 is contained at the end of the post. From the beginning of 2019 all new posts have been posted on this site and on grockles.com at the same time and so do not contain a grockles.com posting date.
Of the options below the ‘Contents’ and ‘Home’ pages and the ‘Search’ function are available at the top of any page being viewed on any device. ‘Categories’ and ‘Tags’ appear in the maroon panel. The only exception to this is noted in the ‘home page’ section below. The quotes contained in the maroon panel have links beneath them which will take you to the posts from which the quote is taken. On desktops and laptops the maroon panel should appear on the right of the screen. On tablets and phones the maroon panel normally appears below the white ‘Home’ page and access will require the user to scroll down to reach it.
- Contents page. Accessible via a tab near the top of the page on all devices. This currently contains a list of 2017 and 2018 Somerset matches for which reports have been added to the site. Each match in the list has a link to the relevant report, up to four reports in the case of a County Championship match. There are also sections for articles and poems. 2019 match reports have yet to be added to the Contents page.
- Search function. Accessible at the top of the page being viewed and near the top of the maroon panel on laprops. It will call up any post containing the word or group of words entered into it. Common Somerset CCC related terms such as ‘Hildreth’ will call up a long list of posts! Less common terms, ‘Somerset v Surrey’ for example, will call up fewer.
- Categories. A menu situated immediately beneath the search function in the maroon panel to the right of the home page on laptops, at the bottom of the home page on tablets and phones. This will call up all posts assigned to the selected category. More useful where smaller numbers of posts are likely to be assigned to a category. For example, the ‘County Championship 2018’ category will call up all reports on all days of Championship cricket in 2018 contained on the site.
- Tags. A list of ‘tags’ is located on the maroon panel immediately beneath ‘Categories’. Most posts have a tag attached to it. Clicking on the tag will bring up all posts with that tag attached. Each match report has a tag identifying the team Somerset were playing. For example: Clicking on the ‘v Essex’ tag will call up any post relating to a day of cricket against
- Links under quotes on the maroon panel. The maroon panel contains a list of quotes from some of the reports on the site. Each quote is followed by a reference to the match (and in the case of the County Championship the day) and a link to the report in which the quote appears.
- Home page. The (white) homepage will display the most recently dated post at the top. The link to the home page is on a tab near the top of screen on all devices. Older posts will be displayed beneath the top post with the most recently dated first. Historic match reports, for example 2017 reports added during in the winter of 2019/20, will normally appear at the top of the home page for a few days and then be re-dated to the date of the day’s play to which they refer so that they appear in their correct historical sequence. Where reports for a historic County Championship match are being added a day at a time the reports will appear at or near the top of the home page until all reports for the match are on the site and for a day or two afterwards. They will then be moved to the dates on which play took place.
My apologies to those to whom all this is second nature. This content is here in an endeavour to assist those to whom, like me, the twenty-first century came late.
The site currently contains mainly 2017, 2018 and 2019 Somerset CCC 1st XI match reports, articles and poems. Virtually all posts have also been posted on match threads of the independent Somerset cricket website grockles.com. The date of the original posting on grockles.com is contained at the end of each report published before the beginning of 2019. From the beginning of the 2019 season reports, articles and poems are being posted on both sites at the same time and so grockles.com posting times are no longer included.
The reports, articles and poems are gathered here to bring them together into a ‘Farmer White’ collection of Somerset cricket writing which is easily accessible to anyone with access to the internet.
This page was last updated on 10th May 2020.